Monday, November 4, 2013

Vegan on the Road: Green Spot Kitchen in Fort Lauderdale, FL

At 8:24 a.m., I wondered who could possibly be texting me. (Most of the people who ever text me were with me inside the house at that moment.) It turned out to be my mother-in-law, letting me know that she'd run across a new restaurant with vegan options nearby my office. I thanked her profusely and decided I needed to check it out immediately.

Green Spot Kitchen is what was classically called a 'health-food restaurant', but rather than being attached to your local vitamin shop, instead takes the form of a trendy bistro. They serve juices, smoothies, wraps, sandwiches and salads - with an on-trend twist. (For example, kale, quinoa, and agave feature prominently in the menu.) The decor is sort of coffe-house chic except with fruit rather than coffee touches, and there's a small outdoor area with a table and chairs under an awning.

Vegan meal options include vegetable ceviche tacos, house-made veggie sliders with chili lime aioli, and the omnipresent hummus plate. I tried the Green Spot Wrap, which had mounds of perfectly grilled zucchini, onions, carrots, and kale with avocado and oven cured tomatoes. It was served with a side of pickled vegetables that included cabbage, kale, zucchini, carrots, and onion. It was perfectly fresh, perfectly prepared, and I would absolutely buy it again. (Although next time, I may have to try those sliders.)


Prices for the vegan options range from $8 - $13. While I would prefer a wider range of vegan choices (or honestly, an all-vegan menu), the food was a decent value for the price, and the service was friendly and reasonably quick. The one thing that surprised me, considering their 'green' focus, was that the take-out was served in styrofoam boxes. Next time, I'll plan to eat in. 

So yes, for me, there will be a next time. I would be unlikely to go out of my way as I would for an all-vegan restaurant (like local gems Green Wave Cafe or Darbster's), but as it's conveniently located, Green Spot Kitchen will definitely be my spot for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! Thanks to your input, I'm sure they will be getting rid of the styrofoam shortly.

    ReplyDelete