Friday, January 27, 2012

Not seeing the sunset for the shells

You know the saying, "Can't see the forest for the trees"? We don't have a lot of forest in South Florida, so I'd like to propose a different turn of phrase to describe a person who is not getting the big picture. I'd call that person someone who "can't see the sunset for the shells."


I took this photo because I thought it was funny. (I still do.) But as I was sorting my vacation photos, I suddenly thought, I don't want that to be me. I don't want to be the person who gets so caught up in the minutiae that they miss the beautiful and the awe-inspiring.

For me, that could be a matter of getting so caught up in the struggles of daily life that I forget to be grateful to God for all the good things I have. Or it could be getting so weighed down by all the injustice and suffering associated with our food system that I forget to appreciate the joy and contentment that come from a healthy body and a compassionate life.

Whatever it is for you, let this be your reminder. Stop and take a minute to look at the big picture. There's beauty all around you.




No comments:

Post a Comment