Monday, May 28, 2012

Lasagna with Almond Ricotta


Let this be your proof that going vegan does not mean giving up the flavors you love! This hearty, rustic lasagna was a hit with omnivores and vegans alike. The recipe is a breeze. And best of all, it's considerably healthier than conventional lasagna.

To make a delicious vegan lasagna, you simply need to put the almonds for the 'ricotta' in a covered dish of water the night before to soak. Follow the recipe below to make the ricotta, then layer in a 9x13 baking dish in this order: sauce, noodles, ricotta, vegetables. End with a layer of noodles covered in sauce. Cover and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

This particular version was made with a hearty homemade organic tomato and basil marinara (courtesy of my talented husband), but you can use any sauce you prefer. For the vegetables, I used broccoli and portabella mushrooms. I steam the broccoli lightly ahead of time and dice into fine florets, and slice the mushrooms thin.

The ricotta is so delicious on its own that my son and I snacked on a bit of it with crackers while I was cooking. Be careful to leave enough for your layers!

Easy Almond Ricotta

3 cups slivered almonds
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tbs olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp salt
3 tsp dried basil
½ tsp black pepper
About 1 cup water - added in portions as needed.

Soak almonds overnight. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth, using more or less water for desired consistency. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve/use.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so yummy! I haven't made an almond ricotta yet... I usually use cashews. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And what timing - I just shared a link to one of your cashew cheese recipes on my Facebook page. I can't wait to try it!

      Delete
  2. Looks great and sounds easy, but how much vegetables and sauce do you need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally speaking, for a 9x13 pan, I'd use 3 - 4 cups of spaghetti sauce, 2 -3 cups of veggies, and about three-quarters of a package of lasagna noodles.

      Delete