Monday, July 2, 2012

Recipes: Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake

Let me be really clear: this is not health food! Proceed at your own risk.

We were having a potluck at work today and I wanted a dessert I could eat, but it had to be something easy since I was also cooking a main dish. So I decided to try a twist on an old non-vegan recipe, dump cake. It'd been a long time since I'd made it and I also wanted to use different flavors, so I wasn't sure how it would come out. Well, pretty darn good!


Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake

Ingredients: 

3 cans cherry pie filling
1 Devil's Food cake mix
1/2 cup vegan butter

Note: check the ingredients on your cake mix carefully. I found a vegan one at Aldi.


Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour the cans of cherry pie filling into a 9x13 cake pan and spread evenly. (No need to grease the pan.) Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the cherries, breaking up any large lumps. Cut (or spoon, if using a tub) bits of butter and spread around the surface of the cake mix. Bake 40 minutes, or until cherries bubble around the edges and the cake is reasonably firm. Cool and serve.

Notes on butter: You can use more than 1/2 cup vegan butter, if you prefer a moister cake topping. With a half cup, it has a consistency like a shortbread cookie. Also, if you'd ever previously made this with conventional butter, you may be used to cutting the butter in fairly thick pats. But vegan butter has a lower melting point, so it's better to cut thinner pieces, and more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment