Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kasey's Killer Enchiladas

The picture doesn't do these justice. I've got to work on my food photography. The problem, of course, is that I'm usually starving by the time I get around to cooking and don't want to take the time to compose a shot.

Anyway, picture notwithstanding, this is one of my favorite recipe creations yet. My older son - an amateur chef and very tough critic - said they were better than any restaurant enchiladas he'd ever had. My younger son just said "More, please!"


Ingredients:

Filling
2 cans black beans (one of them drained)
1 bag frozen steam-in-bag corn kernels, thawed (or microwaved for 3 minutes)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 tsp each chili powder and cumin
1 tbsp fresh culantro or cilantro, chopped

Enchiladas/Toppings
12 small whole wheat tortillas
2 cans enchilada sauce
1/2 can sliced black olives
1 cup Daiya pepper jack shreds

Heat oven to 400 F. Mix all filling ingredients in a sauce pain and simmer for 10 min. Spread a little enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 13x9 pan, just enough to cover. Wrap filling in tortillas, close and place in pan, seam side down. Cover filled tortillas with sauce, black olives and cheese. Bake 20 min, broiling for 2 extra minutes if necessary until cheese is bubbly.



No comments:

Post a Comment